[slurm-users] Licenses: Remote vs Reservation

Richard Ems r.ems at gmx.net
Wed Nov 30 14:29:44 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I have to change our set up to be able to update the total number of
available licenses due to users checking out licenses interactively.
We now use Local Licenses, and could just regularly update slurm.conf and
reconfigure, but I don't think that is the best solution.

I see there are at least two other options:
1. Remote Licenses as per https://slurm.schedmd.com/licenses.html
2. The "older" method of creating an infinite license only reservation and
letting jobs request license from there

What are the pros and cons of both methods?
What would you suggest based on your experience?

Many thanks for any input,
Richard