[slurm-users] Licenses: Remote vs Reservation

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:44:53 UTC 2022

Richard,

If you don't have a large cluster, doing the local license method is
actually feasible. The biggest issue is the efforts to ensure all the
nodes have the same slurm.conf and then the traffic when they are all
re-queried to report their status on a reconfigure.

That said, I have had good experience with the remote license method.
the info is kept as part of the slurmdbd, so you will need that setup
for it to work.

I imagine one of the factors may be the purpose of the license tracking.
Is it to cause jobs to queue if there are no licenses available or not
be allowed to submit at all? The reservation method can cause an sbatch
command to be rejected, if that is what you are looking for.

Brian Andrus