[slurm-users] Understanding fairshare factor

Ewan Roche ewan.roche at unil.ch
Fri Jan 14 15:14:01 UTC 2022

Hello Michał,
the behaviour is what I’d expect from the fair-tree algorithm which is based on a binary search. Fair-tree has been the default for the past few Slurm releases.

Here the algorithm has to decide which of sgflab or faculty (they’re on the same level in the hierarchy) has the higher priority so goes to the front of the queue - it’s more or less 1 or 0 (numerically 0.9 vs 0.2 in your results)

When sgflab is at 0.9 it means that their accumulated usage taking into account the decay is less than that of all the faculty users and when they have used more than all the faculty it flips to 0.2.

If you were looking at the level fair-share then there might be a more gradual change but ultimately it’s a question of, at any one time, who has a higher priority. With only two accounts at this level in competition the result will always look extreme as it flips between who is ahead and who is behind.

The original presentation about fair-tree from Ryan Cox and Levi Morrison is well worth reading and is at

https://slurm.schedmd.com/SUG14/fair_tree.pdf

Ewan Roche

Division Calcul et Soutien à la Recherche
UNIL | Université de Lausanne