[slurm-users] Scheduler does not reserve resources

Jérémy Lapierre jeremy.lapierre at uni-saarland.de
Wed Jan 12 15:59:41 UTC 2022

Hi To all slurm users,

We have the following issue: jobs with highest priority are pending
forever with "Resources" reason. More specifically, the jobs pending
forever ask for 2 full nodes but all other jobs from other users
(running or pending) need only a 1/4 of a node, then pending jobs asking
for 1/4 of a node always get allocated and the jobs asking for 2 nodes
are pending forever even though the priority is higher than the ones
asking for less resources. I hope I'm clear enough, if not please look
at page 17 on https://slurm.schedmd.com/SUG14/sched_tutorial.pdf, in our
situation an infinite number of jobs will fit before what is job4 in the
scheme p. 17 and thus job4 will never be launched. Here are our
Scheduler options:

FastSchedule            = 0
SchedulerParameters     =
bf_max_job_test=500,max_job_bf=100,bf_interval=60,bf_continue
SchedulerTimeSlice      = 60 sec
SchedulerType           = sched/backfill
SlurmSchedLogFile       = (null)
SlurmSchedLogLevel      = 0

Thanks for your help,
Best regards,