[slurm-users] Understanding fairshare factor

Michał Kadlof m.kadlof at mini.pw.edu.pl
Wed Jan 12 11:01:13 UTC 2022

Hello,

I'm trying to understand behavior of fairshare factor. I set a munin
monitoring for several accounts and observe the changes in time, and
they're not clear for me.

A background:
My users are split into two groups: sfglab and faculty,
in sfglab every one are equal, and in faculty they are additionally
split into project accounts i which they they are also equal.

for example:
root
     sfglab
         sfglab_user_1
         sfglab_user_2
     faculty
         project_1
             faculty_user_1
             faculty_user_2
         project_2
             faculty_user_1
             faculty_user_3

I do have 2 particularly active users that run a large jobs in sfglab,
and activity of faculty users is very variable. From very active to dead
souls.

Now this is fairshare factor for last week:

https://i.imgur.com/2sfOUFn.png

Image also available on-line:
https://i.imgur.com/2sfOUFn.png

What I would expect there should be rather smooth changes instead of
those high point changes.
I would also expect to see some small constant changes from
PriorityDecayHalfLife, which is set for two weeks and recalculated every
5 minutes.

It would be great if someone could comment on that, before my users will
start comply on low priority of their jobs.

Here is my Priority config.

PriorityParameters      = (null)
PrioritySiteFactorParameters = (null)
PrioritySiteFactorPlugin = (null)
PriorityDecayHalfLife   = 14-00:00:00
PriorityCalcPeriod      = 00:05:00
PriorityFavorSmall      = No
PriorityFlags           =
PriorityMaxAge          = 7-00:00:00
PriorityUsageResetPeriod = NONE
PriorityType            = priority/multifactor
PriorityWeightAge       = 100000
PriorityWeightAssoc     = 0
PriorityWeightFairShare = 200000
PriorityWeightJobSize   = 0