[slurm-users] Changing DefaultAccount for user

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 23 12:50:01 UTC 2021

Hi,

Occasionally I need to change a default account and I struggle every
time, possibly because my expectations are incorrect.

However the messages and the manpage seem to me unhelpful:

  $ sacctmgr show user alice accounts
        User   Def Acct     Admin
  ---------- ---------- ---------
       alice   boblab        None

  $ sacctmgr add user user=alice defaultaccount=carollab cluster=bigiron
   Nothing new added.

  $ sacctmgr show user alice accounts
        User   Def Acct     Admin
  ---------- ---------- ---------
       alice   boblab        None

What does "Nothing new added" mean?

In the manpage for sacctmgr it says:

  DefaultAccount=
      System wide default account name
      Must be defined on the first occurrence of the user.

I find the third line unclear, but I assume it means

      Must be specified when the user is created (and cannot be modified
      subsequently)

Deleting the user and recreating with the desired defaultaccount is the
only way I have managed change the default account.

Is this really the only way to achieve this?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Herr/Mr)