[slurm-users] random allocation of resources

Benjamin Nacar benjamin_nacar at brown.edu
Wed Dec 1 20:06:51 UTC 2021

Based on some quick experiments, that doesn't do what I'm looking for. I
set LLN=YES for the default partition and ran my test job several times,
waiting each time for it to finish before submitting it again (so that
all compute nodes were idle), and it still ended up on the same (first
in the file) node every time.

(The documentation is ambiguous on this, but my reading of LLN is that
it measures "least loaded" according to how many CPUs Slurm itself has
allocated, not by the actual load average according to "uptime" or some
other reporting tool. Experiments seem to bear this out - I was watching
and comparing the load average on the different available compute nodes
in between running my test jobs.)

~~ bnacar

--
Benjamin Nacar