[slurm-users] random allocation of resources

Guillaume COCHARD guillaume.cochard at cc.in2p3.fr
Wed Dec 1 19:18:27 UTC 2021

Hello,

I think you are looking for the LLN option (Least Loaded Nodes): https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html#OPT_LLN

Guillaume

----- Mail original -----
De: "Benjamin Nacar" <benjamin_nacar at brown.edu>
À: slurm-users at lists.schedmd.com
Envoyé: Mercredi 1 Décembre 2021 20:07:23
Objet: [slurm-users] random allocation of resources

Hi,

Is there a scheduling option such that, when there are multiple nodes
that are equivalent in terms of available and allocated resources, Slurm
would select randomly from among those nodes?

I've noticed that if no other jobs are running, and I submit a single
job via srun, with no parameters to specify anything other than the
defaults, the job *always* runs on the first node in slurm.conf. This
seems like it would lead to some hosts getting overused and others
getting underused. I'd like the stress on our hardware to be reasonably
evenly distributed.

Thanks,
~~ bnacar

--