[slurm-users] Slurm reservation for migrating user home directories

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 16 13:39:36 UTC 2021

Had to do home directory migrations a couple of times without 'full'
downtimes. Similar process, only I don't think we ever bothered
disabling users in LDAP or blocking their jobs. Generally, we told them
we'd move their directory at time X and would they please log out
everywhere; at time X, we killed their jobs & sessions (if any),
migrated everything (including automount information), and let then know
they can log in again.

Saying that clearing sssd etc caches sounds like a very good idea :)

Two suggestions to add:

- Make the old home directories read only/immutable directly after
migration, so that sessions forgotten or picking up the wrong automount
information throw errors when trying to use them.

- I'd rsync the whole file system across to the new machines way ahead
of 'migration day', so that during migration only a 'last pass' sort of
sync was required - generally much faster if most of the files are
already there.

Tina

--
Tina Friedrich, Advanced Research Computing Snr HPC Systems Administrator

Research Computing and Support Services
IT Services, University of Oxford
http://www.arc.ox.ac.uk http://www.it.ox.ac.uk