[slurm-users] NoDecay on accounts (or on GrpTRESMins in general)

Sebastian T Smith stsmith at unr.edu
Thu Nov 19 22:03:32 UTC 2020

Hi,

We're setting GrpTRESMins on the account association and have NoDecay QOS's for different user classes.  All user associations with a GrpTRESMins-limited account are assigned a NoDecay QOS.  I'm not sure if it's a better approach... but it's an option.

Our GrpTRESMins limits are applied to account hierarchies (in some cases).  For example, we have a student research service that allows groups of students to gain access to HPC resources.  This service is backed by a central fund, and we want each student group to have equal access to the system (student_GrpTRESMins ~= central_budget / num_student_groups) while not exceeding the central budget.  We create a parent account and set its GrpTRESMins equivalent to the central fund budget, and child accounts with their own GrpTRESMins below that for each student group.  This will shut down student workloads if they exceed their group budget, and the aggregated student workload if the central budget would be exceeded.

I'm also interested in what others have come up with.  There's a lot of config permutations...

Thanks,

Sebastian

--

[University of Nevada, Reno]<http://www.unr.edu/>
Sebastian Smith

work-phone: 775-682-5050<tel:7756825050>
email: stsmith at unr.edu<mailto:stsmith at unr.edu>