[slurm-users] NoDecay on accounts (or on GrpTRESMins in general)

Yair Yarom irush at cs.huji.ac.il
Tue Nov 17 14:42:21 UTC 2020

Hi all,

We have around 50 accounts, each has its own GrpTRES limits. We want to add
another set of accounts (probably another 50) with different priority which
will have GrpTRESMins, such that users could "buy" TRES*minutes with higher
priority.

For that we require that the GrpTRESMins won't get decayed. We do want the
normal multifactor priority mechanism to work with decaying usage, and we
don't want to reset the usage of GrpTRESMins periodically.

Currently the only solution I found is to create a new QOS with NoDecay for
each such new account. As we also have multiple clusters on the same
database, this also requires a new QOS for each account for each cluster
(as QOS appears to be shared among clusters).

Is there a downside of adding many QOS? (besides the management headache).
Has anyone else done something similar and have some insights? or another
solution?

Thanks in advance,
    Yair.