[slurm-users] Slurm on GCP Scripts v3 Now Available

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Sat Mar 21 07:20:44 UTC 2020

On 20-03-2020 00:24, Brian Christiansen wrote:
> Google and SchedMD are pleased to announce the V3 release of the
> slurm-gcp scripts. Check it out at:
> https://github.com/schedmd/slurm-gcp
> Send Questions / Feedback to the community:
> google-cloud-slurm-discuss at google.com
> <mailto:google-cloud-slurm-discuss at google.com>

My mail to this address bounced:
Your message wasn't delivered to google-cloud-slurm-discuss at google.com
because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

I'm interested in trying out bursting to GCP from our Slurm cluster.
However, one of the listed prerequisites is a site-to-site VPN gateway:

https://github.com/schedmd/slurm-gcp#hybrid-cluster-for-bursting-from-on-premise
 > Hybrid Cluster for Bursting from On-Premise
 > Pre-reqs:
 >     VPN between on-premise and GCP

Though this may seem trivial to some, it can easily be a showstopper to
newcomers like myself!  The above page doesn't contain any links
whatsoever to pages explaining the prerequisites

Googling a bit myself, I found this page:
https://cloud.google.com/vpn/docs/how-to/interop-guides
Disappointingly, only a list of hardware VPN solutions are listed, plus
StrongSwan running on Debian.

We run CentOS 7 and 8 servers, and RHEL/CentOS includes the LibreSwan
VPN software.  I would prefer to use LibreSwan then, but how do we
connect to GCP??

Again, some googling showed this page:
https://none.is/2019/11/libreswan-and-google-cloud-vpn-classic/
This page states:
 > It turns out getting libreswan to play nicely with Google Cloud VPN
(Classic) is much harder than it needs to be. There are various Medium
and mailing list posts about this, but none of the solutions actually
survive a rekey. So here's what works.

In conclusion, how about you guys setting up links to relevant
instructions regarding VPN and the other prerequisites?

/Ole