[slurm-users] Evenly use all nodes

Luis Huang lhuang at NYGENOME.ORG
Thu Jul 2 18:28:36 UTC 2020

You can look into the CR_LLN feature. It works fairly well in our environment and jobs are distributed evenly.

SelectTypeParameters=CR_Core_Memory,CR_LLN

https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html
________________________________
From: slurm-users <slurm-users-bounces at lists.schedmd.com> on behalf of Timo Rothenpieler <timo.rothenpieler at uni-bremen.de>
Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:21:48 PM
To: slurm-users at lists.schedmd.com
Subject: [slurm-users] Evenly use all nodes

Hello,

Our cluster is very rarely fully utilized, often only a handful of jobs
are running.
This has the effect that the first couple nodes get used a whole lot
more frequently than the ones further near the end of the list.

This is primarily a problem because of the SSDs in the nodes. They
already show a significant difference in their wear level between the
first couple and all the remaining nodes.

Is there some way to nicely assign jobs to nodes such that all nodes get
roughly equal amounts of jobs/work?
I looked through possible options to the SelectType, but nothing looks
like it does anything like that.

This message is for the recipient's use only, and may contain confidential, privileged or protected information. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy all copies of this message. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses, as we accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.