[slurm-users] Evenly use all nodes

Timo Rothenpieler timo.rothenpieler at uni-bremen.de
Thu Jul 2 18:21:48 UTC 2020

Hello,

Our cluster is very rarely fully utilized, often only a handful of jobs
are running.
This has the effect that the first couple nodes get used a whole lot
more frequently than the ones further near the end of the list.

This is primarily a problem because of the SSDs in the nodes. They
already show a significant difference in their wear level between the
first couple and all the remaining nodes.

Is there some way to nicely assign jobs to nodes such that all nodes get
roughly equal amounts of jobs/work?
I looked through possible options to the SelectType, but nothing looks
like it does anything like that.