[slurm-users] Slurm Upgrade Philosophy?

Jason Simms simmsj at lafayette.edu
Fri Dec 18 18:10:19 UTC 2020

Hello all,

Thanks to several helpful members on this list, I think I have a much
better handle on how to upgrade Slurm. Now my question is, do most of you
upgrade with each major release?

I recognize that, normally, if something is working well, then don't
upgrade it! In our case, we're running 20.02, and it seems to be working
well for us. The notes for 20.11 don't indicate any "must have" features
for our use cases, but I'm still new to Slurm, so maybe there is a hidden
benefit I can't immediately see.

Given that, I would normally not consider upgrading. But as I understand
it, you cannot upgrade more than two major releases back, so if I skip this
one, I'd have to upgrade to (presumably) 21.08, or else I'd have to "double
upgrade" if, e.g., I wanted to go from 20.02 to 22.05.

To prevent that, do most people try to stay within the most recent two
versions? Or do you go as long as you possibly can with your existing
version, upgrading only if you absolutely must?

Warmest regards,
Jason

--
*Jason L. Simms, Ph.D., M.P.H.*
Manager of Research and High-Performance Computing