[slurm-users] Novice Slurm Upgrade Questions

Jason Simms simmsj at lafayette.edu
Fri Dec 4 20:39:57 UTC 2020

Dear Ole,

Thanks. I've read through your docs many times. The relevant upgrade
section begins with the assumption that you have properly configured RPMs,
so all I'm trying to do is ensure I get to that point. As I noted, a vendor
installed Slurm initially through a proprietary script, though they did
base it off of created RPMs. I've reached out to them to see whether they
used a modified slurm.spec file, which I suspect they did, given that Slurm
is installed in /opt/slurm (which seems like a modified prefix, if nothing
else).

The fundamental question is, if I am performing a yum update, and I don't
adjust any settings in the default slurm.spec file, will it upgrade
everything properly where they currently "live," or will it install new
files in standard locations? It's a question of whether "yum update" is
"smart enough" to figure out what was done before and go with that, or
whether I must specify all relevant information in the slurm.spec file each
time? Based on Paul's reply, it seems we do need an updated slurm.spec file
that reflects our environment, each time we upgrade.

Jason

--
*Jason L. Simms, Ph.D., M.P.H.*
Manager of Research and High-Performance Computing