[slurm-users] Tuning MaxJobs and MaxJobsSubmit per user and for the whole cluster?

Sebastian T Smith stsmith at unr.edu
Mon Aug 10 20:43:25 UTC 2020

My rule of thumb for our cluster is 1,024 jobs/node.  Our nodes have 32 cores, so we're 32x core count (converting to Paul's units).  We have 120 nodes with a maximum of 122,880 jobs.

At a high-level, nodes are allocated to different partitions and each partition is allocated a maximum number of jobs equal to 1024 * num_nodes (reality isn't quite this simple).  Our largest partition features 54,272 max jobs (53 nodes).  I've seen this maxed out a number of times with a large number of very short jobs, and with job arrays.

This setup has required a bit of tuning.  Adjusting sched_max_job_start and sched_min_interval has been sufficient to keep Slurm responsive when users are submitting or cancelling a large number of jobs.  Backfill tuning has been difficult because we made some poor decisions setting DefaultTime at the epoch of our system.  Overall performance has been excellent after minimal tuning.

- Sebastian

--

[University of Nevada, Reno]<http://www.unr.edu/>
Sebastian Smith

work-phone: 775-682-5050<tel:7756825050>
email: stsmith at unr.edu<mailto:stsmith at unr.edu>