[slurm-users] Tuning MaxJobs and MaxJobsSubmit per user and for the whole cluster?

Paul Edmon pedmon at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 7 13:22:53 UTC 2020

My rule of thumb is that the MaxJobs for the entire cluster is twice the
number of cores you have available.  That way you have enough jobs
running to fill all the cores and enough jobs pending to refill them.

As for per user MaxJobs, it just depends on what you think the maximum
number any user can run with out causing damage to themselves, the
underlying filesystems, and interfering with other users.  Practical
experience has lead to us setting that limit to be 10,000 on our
cluster, but I imagine it will vary from location to location.

-Paul Edmon-