[slurm-users] Configure Slurm 17.11.9 in Ubuntu 18.10 with use of PMI

Pär Lundö par.lundo at foi.se
Mon Jun 24 14:39:47 UTC 2019

Thank you so much for your quick resplies, it is much appreciated. Im
sorry for my late response, but I havent been able to check the thread
nor did I except such quick response!

I just managed to build a new version of Slurm version 19.05 with PMIX
v3.1. It seems to work without error when starting a MPI-program with
the command srun.

I do though have some additional questions.

 1. Prior to the installation of Slurm version 19.05 I tried to remove
    the former installation of Slurm via the package tool in Ubuntu
    (apt), but all of the files or dependencies have not been removed.
     1. I cannot start the services (slurmctld and slurmd) via
        systemctl. The error stated by systemctl is
     2. For slurmd-service:
        "slurmd.service: Failed with result 'protocol
        Failed to start LSB: slurm daemon management"
     3. For slurmctld.service:
        "systemd[1]: Starting LSB: slurm daemon management...
        slurmctld[4531]: Not starting slurmctld
        slurmctld[4531]: slurm.conf was not found in /etc/slurm-llnl
        lurmctld[4531]: Please follow the instructions in
        /usr/share/doc/slurmctld/README.Debian
        systemd[1]: slurmctld.service: Can't open PID file
        /var/run/slurm-llnl/slurmctld.pid (yet?) after start: No such
        file or directo
        systemd[1]: slurmctld.service: Failed with result 'protocol'.
        systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: slurm daemon management."
     4. So why is the folder /var/run/slurm-llnl/ searched? I must have
        missed out on changing the /<sysconfdir>/ during configuration.
     5. However I manage to start both of the services manually from the
        build dir (<buidlDir>/src/slurmd/slurmd/ and
        <buildDir>/src/slurmctld/ respectively)

@John Hearns: I am not currently running any cluster or HPC software. I
am testing the Slurm installation on a single node (a notebook for the
moment). I dont plan on installing any additional software as of now,
but I am interested in knowing what works and what works even better :)

Best regards

Palle L