[slurm-users] Substituions for "see META file" in slurm.spec file of 15.08.11-1 release

Pariksheet Nanda pariksheet.nanda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 20:46:00 UTC 2019

Hi Samuel,

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 8:19 PM Fulcomer, Samuel <samuel_fulcomer at brown.edu>
wrote:

> The underlying issue is database schema compatibility/regression. Each
upgrade is only intended to provided capability to successfully upgrade the
schema from two versions back.
--snip--
> ...and you should follow the upgrade instructions on schedmd.com. Note
that you need to start the slurmdbd before the slurmctld, and be patient
while slurmdbd updates the schema.

Thanks for taking the time to share this warning and your experiences!  I'm
familiar with the the limitation of hopping no further than 2 releases at a
time due to the DB schema changes and should have mentioned my awareness of
that in my original e-mail to not give good Samaritans like you panic
attacks.  So sorry for that omission on my part!

Past upgrades have been eventful.  I orchestrated our upgrade from SLURM 14
to 15 in May of 2016, and a previous administrator did the upgrade from
some prior version to 14.  In my case, for some reason running `make
install` omitted installing 2 compiled libraries from the .lib/plugins/
directory to the filesystem.  There were also other idiosyncrasies that
would have added a lot more time and stress to the outage had I not tried
simulating the upgrade first.  It's possible that others on this list have
seamless upgrade experiences, but that's the baggage I now carry around.

> regards,

Pariksheet