[slurm-users] Slurm versions 19.05.5 and 18.08.9 are now available (CVE-2019-19727 and CVE-2019-19728)

Tim Wickberg tim at schedmd.com
Fri Dec 20 21:13:19 UTC 2019

Slurm versions 19.05.5 and 18.08.9 are now available, and include a
series of recent bug fixes, as well as a fix for two moderate security
vulnerabilities discussed below.

SchedMD customers were informed on December 11th and provided a patch on
request; this process is documented in our security policy [1].

CVE-2019-19727:
Johannes Segitz from SUSE reported that slurmdbd.conf may be installed
with insecure permissions by certain Slurm packaging systems.

Slurm itself - as shipped by SchedMD - does not manage slurmdbd.conf
directly, but the slurmdbd.conf.example sets a poor example by
installing itself with 0644 permissions instead of 0600 in both the
slurm.spec and slurm.spec-legacy packaging scripts.

Sites are encourage to verify that the slurmdbd.conf file - which
usually will contain your MySQL user and password - is secure on their
clusters. Note that this configuration file is only needed by the
slurmdbd primary (and optional backup) servers, and does not need to be
accessible throughout the cluster.

CVE-2019-19728:

Harald Barth from the KTH Royal Institute of Technology reported that
"srun --uid" may not always drop into the correct user account, and
instead will print a warning message but launch the tasks as root.

Note that "srun --uid" is only available to the root user, and that this
issue is only shown by a race condition between successive lookup calls
within the srun client command. SchedMD does not recommend use of the
"srun --uid" option (e.g., it does not load the target user's
environment but will export the root users) and may remove this option
in a future release.

Downloads are available at https://www.schedmd.com/downloads.php .

Release notes follow below.

- Tim