[slurm-users] Increasing job priority based on resources requested.

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Thu Apr 18 21:20:07 UTC 2019

Slurm-users,

Is there away to increase a jobs priority based on the resources or
constraints it has requested?

For example, we have a very heterogeneous cluster here: Some nodes only
have 1 Gb Ethernet, some have 10 Gb Ethernet, and others have DDR IB. In
addition, we have some large memory nodes with RAM amounts ranging from
128 GB up to 512 GB. To allow a user to request IB, I have implemented
that as a feature in the node definition so users can request that as a
constraint.

I would like to make it that if a job request IB, it's priority will go
up, or if it requests a lot of memory (specifically memory-per-cpu),
it's priority will go up proportionately to the amount of memory
requested. Is this possible? If so, how?

I have tried going through the documentation, and googling, but
'priority' is used to discuss job priority so much, I couldn't find any
search results relevant to this.

--
Prentice