[slurm-users] how to easily to obtain jobid for array jobs?

Daan van Rossum d.r.vanrossum at gmx.de
Thu Oct 11 03:44:10 MDT 2018

Dear slurm-users,

My users complain about not being able to cancel array jobs (on slurm 17.11.3).

The problem is that squeue by default outputs the %i (job step id) for array jobs, which cannot be used in scancel.  What /can/ be used is %A (job id).  How can I tell users to easily find that number?  There is certainly a better way to obtain the jobid than by translating between %i and %A using:

# squeue -o '%i %A' | grep $jobstepid

Is there a way to customize the default squeue output format?

Thanks, Daan

From the man page:
              %i    Job  or  job  step id.  In the case of job arrays, the
                    job    ID    format    will    be    of    the    form
                    "<base_job_id>_<index>".

              %A    Job id.  This will have a unique value for  each  ele‐
                    ment of job arrays.  (Valid for jobs only)