[slurm-users] Tuning the backfill scheduler

Michael Gutteridge michael.gutteridge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 05:54:11 MDT 2018

Hi

We've run into similar problems with backfill (though not apparently of the
scale you've got).  We have a number of users who will drop 5,000+ jobs at
once- as you've indicated, this can play havoc with backfill.

One of the newer* parameters for the backfill scheduler that's been a real
help for us is "bf_max_job_assoc" and "bf_max_job_user".  These limit the
number of jobs the scheduler considers per association and user.

SchedulerParameters=bf_continue,bf_interval=120,bf_job_part_count_reserve=6,bf_window=43200,bf_resolution=1800,bf_max_job_user=200,bf_max_job_assoc=200,bf_max_job_part=500,bf_max_job_test=2000,bf_yield_interval=1000000,default_queue_depth=500,defer,partition_job_depth=300,max_rpc_cnt=200,preempt_youngest_first

- Michael

*I think these are newer- I don't actually know when those were added (I'm
currently on 17.11.5)