[slurm-users] constraints question

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sun Nov 11 01:09:00 MST 2018

On Tuesday, 6 November 2018 11:06:43 PM AEDT Tina Friedrich wrote:

> So what am I doing wrong with the 'or'?

I don't have node features defined (other than for KNL nodes), so I can't test
your scenario, but I do see similar as I get the error:

$ srun -C "broadwell|haswell" --pty /bin/bash
srun: error: Unable to allocate resources: Invalid KNL configuration (MCDRAM
or NUMA option)

but when using and I get:

$ srun -C "broadwell&haswell" --pty /bin/bash
srun: error: Unable to allocate resources: Invalid feature specification

Just a rough guess as I don't have time to try and trace the code, but the
ESLURM_INVALID_KNL error only occurs in the KNL plugin, whereas
ESLURM_INVALID_FEATURE occurs in slurmctld code so I'm wondering if the main
code tries to satisfy the constraints and (for me) fails, and so drops through
to the KNL plugin to check that and that gets the last say on what the Slurm
error number could be.

That would imply that for some reason your node features aren't getting
properly processed, either by the presence of the KNL plugin or for some other
reason.   It would be worth trying to disable the KNL plugin and see what
effect that has.

Best of luck!
Chris