[slurm-users] constraints question

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 05:06:43 MST 2018

Hello,

I hope this is a quick question.

The way I read the man page (srun/sbatch), I should be allowed a request like

--constraint="broadwell|haswell"

to get either a broadwell or a haswell node, or not? (I mean yes, assuming
nodes with that feature exists).

I can't get that to work; when I try, I get this:

srun -C "broadwell|haswell" --pty /bin/bash
srun: error: Unable to allocate resources: Invalid KNL configuration (MCDRAM or
NUMA option)

Both 'srun -C "broadwell" .... and 'srun -C "haswell" ...'  work, i.e. I can
request either a broadwell or a haswell node.

I can get the '&' operator to work just fine - e.g.

srun -C "broadwell&E5-2640v4" --pty /bin/bash

works as expected.

So what am I doing wrong with the 'or'?

This is slurm 17.11.8, btw.

(And yes, I have the 'knl_generic' plugin enabled; there were some KNL nodes,
although they are no longer there. Still, I'm not even requesting 'knl' here?)

Google didn't really yield anything, so I thought asking might be quicker.

Thanks!
Tina

--
Tina Friedrich, Snr HPC Systems Administrator, Advanced Research Computing
Research Computing and Support Services, Academic IT