[slurm-users] Python and R installation in a SLURM cluster

Thomas M. Payerle payerle at umd.edu
Thu May 10 11:32:40 MDT 2018

Assuming you plan for users to use R in jobs, it will need to be accessible
to the execute/compute nodes.
I would usually suggest on a shared drive.   Although it should be OK if
locally installed on each compute
node (probably want at same exact path and with same R packages
installed).  Presumably you would
also want it available on the login nodes (users tend to like to see what
software is installed, etc).  I do not believe
R is needed on the headnode (the one running the scheduler) unless that
also serves as the login node.

The situation for python would be the same, except that I do not recall if
the slurm daemons or utilities want
python (if so, you would need it on the head node, but would not need
science related packages like numpy/scipy).

--
Tom Payerle
DIT-ACIGS/Mid-Atlantic Crossroads        payerle at umd.edu
5825 University Research Park               (301) 405-6135
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20740-3831