[slurm-users] GrpTRES

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Mar 24 07:01:03 MDT 2018

On Saturday, 24 March 2018 3:42:38 PM AEDT Mahmood Naderan wrote:

> What do you mean by user and account?

User = a user who has been created in Unix and then added to slurmdbd (the
second part is essential)
Account = A Slurm entity that can be thought of as a project or bank account
(the term used in the documentation).

> Assume I have created a user
> account (bob) with useradd command. I wan to set some limits for him.

You also need to add the user to slurmdbd too!

> The GrpTRES format is not clear for me. I assume that mem=200 is a
> global 200MB of memory limit for all running jobs of bob. Therefore,
> if bob is a running job with --mem=100MB, he will not be able to run a
> second job with --mem=300MB. Is that right?

That is my understanding.  I've never used GrpTRES for a user, only on
accounts.

> I don't understand the 1500 value for cpu though. Is that the number of
> cores?!

Yes, that's - they can use no more than 1,500 CPU cores across the whole
cluster.

All the best,
Chris