[slurm-users] cpus-per-task behaviour of srun after 22.05

Michael Müller Michael.Mueller12 at tu-dresden.de
Fri Oct 20 08:57:09 UTC 2023

Hello,

I haven't really seen this discussed anywhere, but maybe I didn't look
in the right places.

After our upgrade from 21.08 to 23.02 we had users complaining about
srun not using the specified --cpus-per-task given in sbatch-directives.
The changelog of 22.05 mentions this change and explains the need to set
the Environment variable SRUN_CPUS_PER_TASK. The environment variable
SLURM_CPUS_PER_TASK will be set by the sbatch-directive, but is ignored
by srun.

Does anyone know why this behaviour was changed? Imo the expectation
that an sbatch-directive is the default for the whole job-script is
reasonable.

Is there a config option to reenable the old behaviour, or do we have to
find a workaround with a job_submit script or a profile.d script? If so,
have any of you already implemented such a workaround?

With kind regards
Michael

--
Michael Müller
Application Developer

Dresden University of Technology
Center of Information Services and High Performance Computing (ZIH)
Department of Interdisciplinary Application Development and Coordination (IAK)
01062 Dresden

phone: (0351)463-35261
www:www.tu-dresden.de/zih