[slurm-users] On the ability of coordinators

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Wed May 17 18:00:30 UTC 2023

Coordinator permissions from the man pages:

    coordinator
    A special privileged user, usually an account manager, that can add
    users or sub-accounts to the account they are coordinator over. This
    should be a trusted person since they can change limits on account
    and user associations, as well as cancel, requeue or reassign
    accounts of jobs inside their realm.

So, I read that as it manages accounts in slurmdb with minimal access to
the jobs themselves. So you would be stuck with cancel/requeue. I see no
mention of hold, but if that is one of the permissions, I would say,
yes, our approach does what you want within the limits of what the
default permissions of a coordinator can do.

Of course, that still may not work if there are other
accounts/partitions/users with higher priority jobs than User B.
Specifically if those jobs can use the same resources A's jobs are
running on.

Brian Andrus