[slurm-users] Defining an empty partition

Steve Brasier steveb at stackhpc.com
Thu May 11 12:26:21 UTC 2023

This is reviving a very old thread but for me at least it is still the top
2 hits in google for "define empty slurm partition" so it might help
someone:

The solution here (of defining NodeName=nonesuch) is a bit of red-herring.
I don't know why I never tried this at the time but you can do:

PartitionName=whatever ... Nodes=""

which seems like it is probably what the docs mean
<https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html#OPT_Nodes_1> when they say:

> A blank list of nodes (i.e. "Nodes= ") can be used if one wants a
partition to exist, but have no resources

i.e. the quote position has just got typoed.

Steve

http://stackhpc.com/
Please note I work Tuesday to Friday.