[slurm-users] Slurm - UnkillableStepProgram

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri Jan 20 04:59:19 UTC 2023

On 1/19/23 5:01 am, Stefan Staeglich wrote:

> Hi,

Hiya,

> I'm wondering where the UnkillableStepProgram is actually executed. According
> to Mike it has to be available on every on the compute nodes. This makes sense
> only if it is executed there.

That's right, it's only executed on compute nodes.

> But the man page slurm.conf of 21.08.x states:
>         UnkillableStepProgram
>                Must be executable by user SlurmUser.  The file must be
> accessible by the primary and backup control machines.
>
> So I would expect it's executed on the controller node.

That's strange, my slurm.conf man page from a system still running 21.08
says:

UNKILLABLE STEP PROGRAM SCRIPT
        This program can be used to take special actions to clean up
        the unkillable processes and/or notify system administrators.
        The program will be run as SlurmdUser (usually "root") on
        the compute node where UnkillableStepTimeout was triggered.

Ah, I see, there's a later "FILE AND DIRECTORY PERMISSIONS" part which
has the text that you've found - that part's wrong! :-)

All the best,
Chris
--
Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Berkeley, CA, USA