[slurm-users] job_container/tmpfs and autofs

Bjørn-Helge Mevik b.h.mevik at usit.uio.no
Thu Jan 12 08:14:12 UTC 2023

In my opinion, the problem is with autofs, not with tmpfs.  Autofs
simply doesn't work well when you are using detached fs name spaces and
bind mounting.  We ran into this problem years ago (with an inhouse
spank plugin doing more or less what tmpfs does), and ended up simply
not using autofs.

I guess you could try using systemd's auto-mounting features, but I have
no idea if they work better than autofs in situations like this.

We ended up using a system where the prolog script mounts any needed
file systems, and then the healthcheck script unmounts file systems that
are no longer needed.

--
Regards,
Bjørn-Helge Mevik, dr. scient,