[slurm-users] Chaining srun commands

Jake Jellinek jakejellinek at outlook.com
Tue Feb 28 17:49:31 UTC 2023

Hi all

I come from a SGE/UGE background and am used to the convention that I can qrsh to a node and, from there, start a new qrsh to a different node with different parameters.
I've tried this with Slurm and found that this doesn’t work the same.

For example, if I issue an 'srun' command, I get a new node.
However if I then try to start a new srun session to a different node type (different resource requirements), it just puts me back on the same box.

I did find a post from 12 years ago that suggested that this was by design but am hoping that this has now changed or that there is a config option which turns off this feature.

Thank you
Jake