[slurm-users] Evaluation: How collect data regarding slurms cloud scheduling performance?

Xaver Stiensmeier xaverstiensmeier at gmx.de
Tue Feb 28 13:03:28 UTC 2023

Dear slurm-user list,

I am currently investigating ways of evaluation regarding slurms cloud
scheduling performance. As we are all aware there are many adjustment
screws when it comes to cloud scheduling.

We can change the regular scheduling (prioritizing, ...), powerup and
powerdown times. There's probably a lot more.

However, my question today is not about improving cloud scheduling
performance, but how we collect data like:

When were nodes powered up [down]. To what degree were the powered up
machines used? Were the "right" instances started for the given jobs or
were larger instances started than needed? ...

I know that this question is currently very open, but I am still trying
to narrow down where I have to look. The final goal is of course to use
this evaluation to pick better timeout values and improve cloud scheduling.

Best regards,
Xaver Stiensmeier