[slurm-users] speed / efficiency of sacct vs. scontrol

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Mon Feb 27 22:21:49 UTC 2023

On 27/2/23 03:34, David Laehnemann wrote:

> Hi Chris, hi Sean,

Hiya!

> thanks also (and thanks again) for chiming in.

No worries.

> Quick follow-up question:
>
> Would `squeue` be a better fall-back command than `scontrol` from the
> perspective of keeping `slurmctld` responsive?

Sadly not, whilst a site can do some tricks to enforce rate limiting on
squeue via the cli_filter that doesn't mean others have that set up, so
they are vulnerable to the same issue.

> Also, just as a quick heads-up: I am documenting your input by linking
> to the mailing list archives, I hope that's alright for you?
> https://github.com/snakemake/snakemake/pull/2136#issuecomment-1446170467

No problem - but I would say it's got to be sacct.

All the best,
Chris
--
  Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Berkeley, CA, USA