[slurm-users] How to share a node

Borchert, Christopher B ERDC-RDE-ITL-MS CIV Christopher.B.Borchert at erdc.dren.mil
Fri Sep 23 20:06:02 UTC 2022

I would like all partitions to have exclusive node access except for a
single "transfer" partition which we will allow job sharing of the single
node. The partition flag for this appears to be OverSubscribe. But there are
no choices for sharing a node, just sharing a core, cpu or socket. Looks
like EXCLUSIVE or NO (the default) are for non-sharing, and FORCE or YES are
the choices for sharing. However the man page suggests FORCE/YES should be
used with preemption. (What does sharing nodes have to do with preemption?)
Also says something funny about not using preemption:
"... accounting can easily grow to values greater than the actual
utilization. It may be common on such systems to get error messages in the
slurmdbd log  stating: We have more allocated time than is possible."

Thanks, Chris