[slurm-users] slurmd and dynamic nodes

Groner, Rob rug262 at psu.edu
Fri Sep 23 16:59:21 UTC 2022

I didn't say I felt slurmd could not run as a service on a dynamic node.  I'm just saying that the example they give on their dynamic nodes webpage does not show slurmd running as a service.  So they seem to imply there's a different way, other than with slurmd running as a service, that you can create a dynamic node with a different configuration.  In their example, they just execute slurmd with parameters on the command line.  So...not as a service.

I'm fine with the concept of stopping the service, changing the service parameters for the new configuration of the node, and then starting the service again.  That's fine, and that makes sense.  What I'm trying to say is that their documentation does not demonstrate that way of handling dynamic nodes.  So I'm trying to figure out what they meant to have happen to a dynamic node where slurmd is already running as a process and not as a service.   Is there SOME OTHER WAY they expected that a dynamic node could reconfigure itself other than through stopping/starting a service?

I think their limited documentation on dynamic nodes basically only covers creating a node ONCE and removing it ONCE, and not a scenario where you might reconfigure a single node multiple times in its life.   Given that, and having the service method of making it work, I'll just go with that.  Thanks for help.

Rob