[slurm-users] Use cases for "include" in slurm.conf?

Bjørn-Helge Mevik b.h.mevik at usit.uio.no
Wed Sep 21 08:56:47 UTC 2022

Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk> writes:

> Can anyone shed light on the use cases for "include" in slurm.conf?

Until we switched to configless mode, we used to have all partition and
node definitions in a separate file, with an include in slurm.conf.  The
idea was to keep the things that most frequently was changed in a
separate file.  Also, it made it easier to keep the config of several
clusters in sync (running diff on their slurm.conf files wouldn't be
cluttered with node definition differences).

Similarly, I also saw that on our BULL Atos cluster, Atos had separated
out information generated from their database into separate files.  That
way those parts could be updated when the database changed.

Somewhat related, for Slurmdbd, we have a separate slurmdbd_auth.conf
file with the username and password for the slurm sql db, so that we can
keep the slurmdbd.conf file in a git repo without spreading the password
around.

--
Regards,
Bjørn-Helge Mevik, dr. scient,