[slurm-users] Use cases for "include" in slurm.conf?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Sep 21 08:03:58 UTC 2022

In the SLUG'22 presentation
https://slurm.schedmd.com/SLUG22/Dynamic_Nodes.pdf Nate Rini said on slide 21:

> Include file configuration now pushed along with other Slurm conf files
> Makes cloud configurations easier, especially hybrid!
> Right now the slurm.conf is either baked into the image or on a shared file system
> Most Cloud configurations with use an “Include” in the slurm.conf

Reading the section INCLUDE MODIFIERS in the slurm.conf manual page, only
a %c ClusterName variable may be substituted.

I fail to see how "include" can be useful, and what the relation to hybrid
clusters may be?  Using Configless also with cloud nodes seems like a good
approach, but why use "include" at all?

Can anyone shed light on the use cases for "include" in slurm.conf?

Thanks,
Ole