[slurm-users] gres.conf and select/cons_res plugin

Kamil Wilczek kmwil at mimuw.edu.pl
Tue Sep 13 21:32:55 UTC 2022

Hello,

unfortunately imho Slurm's documentation is "scattered".
What I mean is that a single subject is not defined in one place but
described in several places. It is so for cons_tres.

Among others cons_tres allows for individual allocation of
GPUs and other TRES, provides additional submit options to jobs, such
as --gpus, allows for default CPU or memory allocation per GPU, etc.
cons_res allowed only for cores and memory.
This is at least my understading. I ran 19.X and now I'm running 22.05.

See documents below and search for "cons_tres", there are multiple
entries in each document. I remember searching in the whole
manual dozens of times when searching for answers :) :/
And sometimes answers are not quite self-explanatory and confusing.

https://slurm.schedmd.com/gres.html
https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html
https://slurm.schedmd.com/cons_res.html

Kind regards
--

--
Kamil Wilczek [https://keys.openpgp.org/]
[6C4BE20A90A1DBFB3CBE2947A832BF5A491F9F2A]

ul. Banacha 2
02-097 Warszawa

Tel.: 22 55 44 392
https://www.mimuw.edu.pl