[slurm-users] Is there a way to restrict the NODES*TIME product for a partition?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Thu Oct 6 06:44:38 UTC 2022

On 10/5/22 22:43, Carl Ponder wrote:
> In our scaling tests, it's normal to expect the job run-times to reduce as
> we increase the node-counts.
> Is there a way in SLURM to limit the NODES*TIME product for a partition,
> or do we just have to define a different partition (with a different
> duration-limit) for each job size?

AFAIK this is not possible, see the slurm.conf section
https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html#SECTION_PARTITION-CONFIGURATION
for available partition parameters.

Limits of nodes*time can, however, be defined on user accounts, see
GrpTRESRunMins in https://slurm.schedmd.com/resource_limits.html

Short jobs can run in a partition with a higher MaxTime than required.  I
don't see why you would want separate partitions with different MaxTimes?

/Ole