[slurm-users] Plugins failing on Slurm v22 build Rocky Linux 9

Michael Jennings mej at lanl.gov
Tue Nov 29 17:48:26 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 29 November 2022, at 08:44:48 (+0000),
Mark Holliman wrote:

> I mentioned Fedora 9 and CentOS 9 (Stream) simply because they tend
> to be compatible, and something that works on them is likely to work
> on Rocky9.

RHEL 8.x is based on Fedora 28.  RHEL 9.x is based on Fedora 34 via
CentOS Stream.  You can find this information on Wikipedia:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Version_history_and_timeline

Fedora 9, on the other hand, was released in 2008.  It was between
RHEL 5 and 6; RHEL 6.x was based on Fedora 12.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_Linux_release_history#Fedora_Linux_9)

I'm not sure where you heard/read that Fedora and RHEL versioning were
synchronized, but as you can see from the above articles, they differ
by a lot.  (And that difference is actually growing, not shrinking,
due to Fedora's much shorter release life cycle.) :-)

Michael

--
Michael E. Jennings (he/him) <mej at lanl.gov>            https://hpc.lanl.gov/
HPC Platform Integration Engineer - Platforms Design Team - HPC Design Group