[slurm-users] [EXTERNAL] SlurmDBD losing connection to the backend MariaDB

Greg Wickham greg.wickham at kaust.edu.sa
Tue Nov 1 11:10:17 UTC 2022

Hi Richard,

While trying to respond I was looking into the manual pages and while it does appear that slurm can support some kind of high availability(*) it doesn’t seem simple.

With multiple slurmctld only one can be active at any time as they share state information. It’s not clear how they know about each other, so this may require STONITH(*).

With slurmdbd, there’s “AccountingStorageHost” and “AccountingStorageBackupHost”, again it’s not quite clear how these interact.

In slrmdbd.conf there is “StorageBackupHost” with the description:

. . . . It is up to the backup solution to enforce the coherency of the
accounting information between the two hosts. With clustered
database solutions (active/passive HA), you would not need to use
this feature. Default is none.

On our site we’re running only a simple setup. One VM with slurmctld and another VM with both slurmdbd+mariadbd.

Perhaps others who have dabbled with redundancy can reply.

   -greg

(* I say this trusting the best way to get a response on the Internet is say something wrong and then wait for the avalanche of corrections).