[slurm-users] container on slurm cluster

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Wed May 18 12:54:45 UTC 2022

Ghui,

It seems that things are doing what they should.

You are allowing an account to become root inside the pod and the pod is
considered a trusted environment by slurm (you are running munge inside it).
So as far as slurm is concerned, 'root' from a trusted environment is
submitting a job.

Which circles back to the big issue with most container environments:
security.

You should not allow full access to root inside your container (or other
environments). Use sudoers and be highly restrictive with what commands
are allowed.
If that is not possible, you need to trust the people you give the
permission to that they will not abuse it.

Brian Andrus