[slurm-users] container on slurm cluster

Stephan Roth stephan.roth at ee.ethz.ch
Wed May 18 06:25:39 UTC 2022

On 17.05.22 17:17, Timo Rothenpieler wrote:
> On 17.05.2022 15:58, Brian Andrus wrote:
>> You are starting to understand a major issue with most containers.
>>
>> I suggest you check out Singularity, which was built from the ground
>> up to address most issues. And it can run other container types (eg:
>> docker).
>>
>> Brian Andrus
>
> Side-Note to this, singularity is now called apptainer, but is otherwise
> the same thing.
> Documentation and Google results are wildly split between the two.
Sidenote 2: Singularity was renamed to Apptainer. The 3.8 series is
still maintained. Sylabs forked Singularity and kept the name.
So there are effectively 3 versions around for the time being:

https://github.com/apptainer/singularity (3.8 Series)
https://github.com/apptainer/apptainer (Successor to the original)
https://github.com/sylabs/singularity (SingularityCE, fork from Sylabs)

Also see: https://apptainer.org/news/community-announcement-20211130/

Personal note: I'm not sure what I'd choose as a successor to
Singularity 3.8, yet. Thoughts are welcome.

Stephan