[slurm-users] SLURM: reconfig

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 5 12:54:54 UTC 2022

Hi List,

out of curiosity - I would assume that if running configless, one
doesn't manually need to restart slurmd on the nodes if the config changes?

Hi Steven,

I have no idea if you want to do it every couple of minutes and what the
implications are of that (although I've certainly manage to restart them
every 5 minutes by accident with no real problems caused), but -
generally, restarting the daemons (slurmctld, slurmd) is a non-issue, as
it's a safe operation. There's no risk to running jobs or anything. I
have the config management restart them if any files change. It also
doesn't seem to matter if the restarts of the controller & the node
daemons are splayed a bit (i.e. don't happen at the same time), or what
order they happen in.

Tina

--
Tina Friedrich, Advanced Research Computing Snr HPC Systems Administrator

Research Computing and Support Services
IT Services, University of Oxford
http://www.arc.ox.ac.uk http://www.it.ox.ac.uk