[slurm-users] Use all cores when submitting to heterogeneous nodes

Richard Ems r.ems at aiduit.com
Tue Mar 22 15:45:05 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
Using --exclusive does not solve my issue because I need ntasks to get set
by Slurm to the MAX possible.
What I want is to request a fixed number of nodes with --nodes=N and
--ntasks=MAX , so that Slurm provides 2 nodes and sets then ntasks to the
max possible, depending on the nodes selected.
So for example if I request 2 nodes and I get them from the 40 cores
partition, then ntasks gets set to 80 by Slurm. If those nodes are from the
2nd partition with 48 cores each node, then Slurm should set ntasks to 96.
The request seems a bit odd, but I have a commercial software (Altair) that
is using "scontrol show ..." output to set the number of processes/tasks to
start. I cannot manipulate that in my script.
But probably I will have to stop telling Altair I am using Slurm so it does
not use "scontrol show ...", and create all parallel settings myself
using SLURM's variables as Troy suggested.

Thanks,
Richard

Richard Ems     /     aiduit     /     r.ems at aiduit.com