[slurm-users] Slurmrestd JWT authentication [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Justin Freeman justin.freeman at bom.gov.au
Mon Mar 7 23:04:20 UTC 2022

Hi slurm-users,

Hoping you can point me in the right direction….I am trying to setup the Slurm REST API under parallelcluster v3.1.1. I am following the instructions at https://slurm.schedmd.com/jwt.html. I have added the AuthAltTypes=rest_auth/jwt and the AuthAultParameters=jwt_key=… to /opt/slum/etc/slurm.conf but restarting slurmctld fails with:

slurmctld: debug:  slurmctld log levels: stderr=debug3 logfile=debug3 syslog=quiet
slurmctld: debug:  Log file re-opened
slurmctld: pidfile not locked, assuming no running daemon
slurmctld: Stack size set to 10485760
slurmctld: debug:  slurmscriptd: Got ack from slurmctld, initialization successful
slurmctld: debug:  slurmctld: slurmscriptd fork()'d and initialized.
slurmctld: slurmctld version 21.08.5 started on cluster parallelcluster
slurmctld: debug3: Trying to load plugin /opt/slurm/lib/slurm/cred_munge.so
slurmctld: debug:  _slurmscriptd_mainloop: started
slurmctld: debug3: Called _msg_readable
slurmctld: debug:  _slurmctld_listener_thread: started listening to slurmscriptd
slurmctld: cred/munge: init: Munge credential signature plugin loaded
slurmctld: debug3: Success.
slurmctld: debug3: Called _msg_readable
slurmctld: debug3: Trying to load plugin /opt/slurm/lib/slurm/auth_munge.so
slurmctld: debug:  auth/munge: init: Munge authentication plugin loaded
slurmctld: debug3: Success.
slurmctld: debug3: Trying to load plugin /opt/slurm/lib/slurm/rest_auth_jwt.so
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_create' in the plugin
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_destroy' in the plugin
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_verify' in the plugin
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_get_uid' in the plugin
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_get_gid' in the plugin
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_get_host' in the plugin
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_pack' in the plugin
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_unpack' in the plugin
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_thread_config' in the plugin
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_thread_clear' in the plugin
slurmctld: debug3: Couldn't find sym 'auth_p_token_generate' in the plugin
slurmctld: fatal: plugin_load_and_link: Plugin loading failed due to missing symbols. Plugin is corrupted.

Looks like I am missing something when trying to enable JWT authentication with the slurm services. I am using the slurm install that comes out of the box with parallelcluster 3.1.1. I was wondering if there are any suggestions about how to fix/resolve this error?. Thanks.

Slurmrestd auth types:
$ slurmrestd -a list
slurmrestd: Possible REST authentication plugins:
slurmrestd: rest_auth/local
slurmrestd: rest_auth/jwt

Also, step 2 in the JWT instructions at https://slurm.schedmd.com/jwt.html is a little confusing – the key is saved to the StateSaveLocation but the rest of the instructions reference /etc/slurm? Am I missing something here (likely!) ?

dd if=/dev/random of=/var/spool/slurm/statesave/jwt_hs256.key bs=32 count=1
chown slurm:slurm /etc/slurm/jwt_hs256.key
chmod 0600 /etc/slurm/jwt_hs256.key
chown root:root /etc/slurm
chmod 0755 /etc/slurm

Thanks!