[slurm-users] Allow SFTP on a specific compute node

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Tue Jul 12 05:42:47 UTC 2022

On 7/12/22 06:51, Ratnasamy, Fritz wrote:
>   Currently, our cluster does not allow ssh to compute nodes for users
> unless they have
> a running job on that compute node. I believe a system admin has set up a
> PAM module
> that does the block. Whn trying ssh, this is the message returned:
> Access denied by pam_slurm_adopt: you have no active jobs on this node
> Connection closed by 10.135.242.188 port 22
>
> However, we would like to allow sftp on a specific compute node for
> specific users.
> Any idea on how to do that?

SFTP uses the SSH protocol, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_file_transfer_program

With pam_slurm_adopt you can only connect with SSH to a node where you
have a running job, which is a Good Thing.

What's the usage scenario for needing file transfer access to a compute
node running someone else's job?

/Ole